In the industrial arena which deals with construction work, lifting machinery is a must-have! Machines don’t just lift construction-related goods, but they also carry site workers, who are required to operate at a higher platform. Lifting operations can be both manual as well as mechanical. In manual lifting, it is the men who carry the load, and in mechanical lifting, the work is done with the help of machines and tools made especially for this purpose. Such tools and gadgets include:
(1) A hoist:
A hoist usually serves as a pulley, where the load is lifted or lowered by pulling the rope tied around a wheel. An analogy to the process can be drawn by imagining how in the medieval times, people used to draw water out of a well. In more new-age hoists, there is a lift, which can be operated manually as well as with the help of electricity. Hook lifts are a slight variation to the old conventional hoists. They are planted on a truck carrying goods, and a slight tilt to the container enables easy dispatch of the contents. We recommend you go for a trusted and well-known supplier, such as West Trans, when it comes to sophisticated machinery.
(2) A crane:
It is a mechanical device, which is nearly always equipped with a hoist to lift and lower men and material. It also moves the load horizontally. Cranes can be of many kinds :
- A tower crane: This is fixed to the ground, and has a mast, gear, and a motor, which together provide the crane with the ability to rotate.
- Telescopic cranes: These are mounted on trucks and have jibs or booms.
- Mobile cranes: As the name suggests, mobile cranes serve well if the site is narrow. They are highly flexible, can be assembled in no time, and do not need an elaborate setup.
- All-terrain crane: An all-terrain crane is mounted on a truck and can travel at great speed.
- A crawler crane: This crane is mounted on crawlers, but given its bulky body, it moves at a very low speed.
- A telescopic handler can go forward as well as upward and is very helpful during the various stages of construction. It is also fitted with a boom.
- A forklift truck has a fork and a hydraulic lift system, which together serve the purpose of lifting and carrying the goods.
- A ’Mobile elevating work platform’ (MEWP) Lifting equipment: This aerial device helps in accessing tricky areas, usually narrow or heightened areas. They can be vehicle-mounted, self-propelled or trailer-mounted.
- A passenger lift or passenger hoist is normally used in big projects such as multi-storied buildings to transport people. Given its utility in ambitious construction projects, it is also known as the construction elevator.
However, while choosing the right equipment for your construction site, you need to take into account the source of the equipment. A slight mishap on a construction site could lead to unfortunate disasters. Thus, you must take every precaution to avoid such a catastrophe.
Preventing OSH hazards can be made possible by following the steps mentioned below :
- Maintaining a purchasing policy for machinery and work tools. You should only purchase the tools and gadgets that adhere to the health and safety parameters set as industry standards.
- Categorically stating the criteria and standards in the tenders itself.
- Reducing the workforce in accident-prone areas.
- The equipment used for lifting workers should be designed in a particular way. A certificate issued to that effect, which clearly marks the equipment safe and suitable, and tested to be fit for personnel lifting is a crucial document that is needed before you make the purchase.
- Equipment used for specific purposes must be used for any other purposes. This may end up damaging the instrument, beyond repair and cost you a huge amount on a replacement. Even worse, this may lead to a severe loss of property or life at the site.
- Equipment for lifting should be fitted with two absolutely distinct mechanisms in order to prevent accidents.